New year, new expectations and yes definitely “a new me”. Say welcome to new beginnings. Say yes to new experiences and positive habits. Start your life with some interesting and refreshing things.
The beginning of the year 2021 is the time to think, what you really need to accomplish in the upcoming 12 months. The lockdown and quarantine has made us a prey of mental illness. So, let's forget about resolutions like hitting the gym or studying hard, and focus entirely upon your mental health. Let's discuss 5 new year resolutions which can improve your mental health in 2020.
1. Recharge your Mental Battery
- Switch off your mind from external distractions at least once a day. Turn meditation into a habit. Release the old thoughts and start your day with new and refreshing thoughts. Mental and physical stress cause increased levels of the stress hormones. This produces many of the harmful effects of stress, such as the release of cytokines. Meditation helps in reducing stress and anxiety levels. A study found that people who completed a meditation exercise experienced fewer negative thoughts. The mental discipline you can develop through meditation may help you break dependencies by increasing your self-control and awareness of triggers for addictive behaviors. Meditation develops mental awareness and can help you manage triggers for unwanted impulses. This can help you recover from addiction, manage unhealthy eating, and redirect other unwanted habits as well.
2. Observe yourself
- Set aside some time to observe and acknowledge your emotions every day. Start introspecting yourself. Find out your strengths and weaknesses. Try to learn from your mistakes. Introspecting means examination of one’s thought and feelings. So, if you truly want to grow and improve your mental health, then you need to take out some time for self-reflection and self-examining.
- Few questions to ask yourself daily-
a) Who am I, really?
b) Am I using my time wisely?
c) What am I even doing with my life?
d) Am I truly living for myself?
e) Is my life worth living?
f) Am I mentally strong?
g) If not now, then when?
h) What matters most in my life?
3. Exercise daily
- Exercise is not only a physical activity but it also impacts the mental health of an individual and even add years to your life. It makes you feel energetic and enthusiastic. Studies have shown that exercise can be used as a way of treating depression, anxiety and other mental problems. It reduces the risk of illness of diseases. It helps to improve your sleep. It also increases the connections between the nerve cells in the brain. This improves your memory and helps protect your brain against injuries. It releases endorphins which make you feel happy and energize your spirits. It can be termed as a ”distraction” which allows to have a short break out of your busy and hectic schedule. Researches show that people who work out regularly are generally more productive in both work and personal life. Start with a 10-15 minutes session. Allow your body to stretch, feel free, independent and free from thoughts. As your body starts adapting the changes, slowly add extra minutes to your session.
4. Goal Setting
- Goals are important as they give you a direction in your life. It is better to have a normal goal rather than not having a single goal. Having a goal, makes you more organized also it helps you in managing your time effectively. It motivates us towards a fixed destination and this makes you feel happier, safer, stronger and more confident.
- When you have a goal, you have your full attention towards it. This reduces the situations of stress and over thinking. You experience confidence and inner happiness when you accomplish your goal. Goals can help you in shaping your life in a better way; they keep you on the right path of your life.
- It gives you external motivation and an exposure to the outer world. Do not entirely depend over the outcome or results of your work, instead try to gain new experiences and enhance your performances.
5. Explore new interests
- The world is full of exciting and wonderful activities, which you can explore everyday. The best way to cultivate a new hobby is to try something new. You can never get tired of any new interest. Hobbies play an important role as it widens the creativity of one’s mind. Some activities lead to better cognitive development of the human beings. It also boosts the brain power. Plus, having some various interests makes you different from the crowd. Hobbies bring a sense of fun and freedom to life that can help to minimize the impact of chronic stress. People indulge themselves into activities either for pleasure and relaxation or out of boredom.
There are always lots of great resources around, like this article, to help you, and most other people. Ending this article, by wishing you a wonderful year ahead full of success and happiness.