Cybercrime is a crime which involves computers and networks. It includes a wide range of activities, from illegally downloading music files to stealing money from online bank accounts. It include frauds such as :-
Cybercrimes can also lead to physical or sexual abuse. Cybercriminals can steal our money or damage our reputation.
According to a study by a leading industry research organization, 90% of all cyber attacks are caused by human negligence. We must be vigilant while making use of technology to reduce the risk of cyber threats. Therefore, cyber security awareness is important for everyone today.
Social Media has become an integral part of our lives. It is the new way of communicating, sharing and informing people about the events in our lives. One can understand the entire history of an individual through their social media profile and can even predict future events based on patterns in the past.
This poses a threat to an individual as unwanted access to social media profile can cause loss of information, defamation or even worse consequences such as physical/sexual assault, robbery etc. Hence, protection and appropriate use of social media profile are very important. Types of Social Media Frauds :-
1. Restrict your social media profiles from the public searches.
2. Enable two factor authentications to login the social media account
3. Don’t save your password on any browser or public library computer or share with anyone.
4. Log out after each session.
5. Don’t accept friend requests from unknowns.
7. Remember that information scattered over multiple posts, photographs, status, comments etc. may together reveal enough about you to enable a fraudster to steal your identity and defraud you. So, apply maximum caution while sharing anything online.
8. Enable the notification and select the right alerts.