Robert H. Schuler has rightly said “Tough times never last but tough people do”. In this world of competition and survival of the fittest, it is very important to have self-confidence and determination in order to win over our weaknesses and walk on the path to success. At the age of 21, Stephen Hawking was diagnosed with ALS, (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) a motor neuron disease in which the whole body gets paralyzed except the brain. His father noticed his condition when he started tripping or falling without any reason and his speech started slurring. ALS is considered to be an incurable disease and doctors informed Hawking that he would survive for 2 more years only. However, he proved everybody wrong through his will to live and is at present 75 years old. He is considered as one of the greatest scientists in mankind who revolutionized the field of cosmology and is still making remarkable contributions. His notable works include the quantum gravity theory, the general relativity theory and the theory of black hole. His body stopped functioning but the wheels of his mind were always running. Now he communicates through a speech-generating device and travels through a computer-controlled wheelchair but still believes in making the most of his time and not giving up. He is an excellent example of overcoming our weaknesses through diligence and conviction.
Not everybody is born a genius. Just like the five fingers of our hand, every person is different and unique having distinct qualities and attributes. We all must embrace our flaws and try to harness our limitations. To excel, we must not let our shortcomings become a barrier for us. We should try to solve every problem and convert our weaknesses into our strengths. This can be done by following a step by step approach containing the steps given below:
- Identify your weaknesses: The first and foremost step should be to identify your weaknesses. They are the areas in which you struggle or face challenges. You have less motivation and these weaknesses hamper your growth too. For example, if you tend to get angry easily and work hastily, without listening to the views of others, then this low patience can be regarded as a weakness of yours. List all of the identified weaknesses to get a clear view of their extent.
- Have self-confidence: The next step is to believe in yourself. You must trust your own abilities and skills. There will be many obstacles you will have to face from the environment which you are in. Every circumstance may not be in your favor but don’t let this dampen your spirits. People may discourage and demotivate you but you should not get disheartened and continue to work on yourself and realize your potential.
- Practice makes a man perfect: This is the key to achieving success. You should try to improve in the fields you lack by practicing on a daily basis. Set a proper plan of action and a time table with appropriate methods. If it becomes monotonous and you feel less motivated, you can try fun techniques which make it more interesting. For example, if you have stage fright and find practicing in front of a mirror very dull and tedious, you can ask your mother or sister to listen to your speech and give you honest feedback. You can also make use of props to give you an idea of what the actual situation might be like. The main aim is to exercise various ways which help you in overcoming your imperfections.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help: Your family, friends and relatives can play a very essential role in helping you to achieve your set targets. You should not hesitate to seek help from them and value their suggestions and advice. They may be able to pinpoint those things which you are unaware of. For example, you may have a habit of buying a lot of things at once which may cause problems for you later on and you don’t even realize. Your brother may help you to identify this weakness of impulsiveness.
- Optimistic Approach: For your efforts to show a positive result, you need to have a positive attitude too. Hard work and will power along with optimism are very important to overcome our flaws. We should not be surrounded by people having a negative thought process as it affects us too. Even in the well renowned documentary The Secret, we are told to keep a clear mind, concentrate on a single thought and attract positive vibes for our thought to become a reality. So you should channelize positive energy to accomplish your goals.
- Don’t play the blame game: Instead of accusing others, we must mentally prepare ourselves to conquer our fears and not worry about the consequences. Don’t get distracted and remain focused. Don’t let stress get to you and work with a cool and composed mind. Continue to persevere and you will ultimately succeed.
If you apply all these steps in your daily life, you will be able to triumph over all your fears. You will get rid of your weaknesses and your strengths will function in full swing. It is all about your efforts and how you approach your problems.
A spoon full of confidence, two spoons of enthusiasm and zeal and a cup of focus in a bowl of hard work and commitment along with a sprinkle of positivity and a dash of support is the perfect recipe to overcome your weaknesses.
If Nick Vujicic, the Australian man with no legs and no arms can view life as a fascinating challenge, overcome his weaknesses and live with a smile on his face, then so can you. Be brave enough to face each hurdle confidently and defeat them physically as well as mentally because they say “Once your mind wins, so will your body”.